Industrial products in kind
National Statistical Institute
|Contact organisation unit|
"Annual Business Statistics" Department
|Contact person function|
|Contact mail address|
2, P. Volov Str.; 1038 Sofia, Bulgaria
|Contact email address|
|Contact phone number|
+359 2 9857 267
|Contact fax number|
|Metadata last certified||31 August 2020|
|Metadata last posted||31 August 2020|
|Metadata last update||16 February 2022|
The survey provides data on industrial goods manufactured and sold, as well as industrial services rendered, according to the requirements of Council Regulation N 3924/91.
Indicators: volume of total production, volume of total production on the basis of contract processing, volume and value of sold production, volume and value of production sold on the domestic market, fee received by the subcontractor - total and received from the foreign principal.
The annual data at the geographical level of the whole country:
· at the level of a product specified in the Nomenclature of Industrial Production (PRODCOM.BG);
· aggregated by product subcategories of the Classification of Products by Economic Activities (CPA.BG 2015).
· The Nomenclature of Industrial Production (PRODCOM.BG) is identical to Prodcom List - the List of industrial products of the EU. It is revised each year reflecting the latest changes and modifications made in the Prodcom List. PRODCOM.BG is disaggregation of product categories and subcategories in the Classification of Products by Economic Activities (CPA.BG 2015) to product headings which can be measured by physical units;
· Classification of Products by Economic Activities (CPA.BG 2015).
Non-financial enterprises, manufacturing industrial products and/or rendering industrial services.
|Statistical concepts and definitions|
The main indicators:
· volume of total production - the actual production which has been carried out during the reference period, irrespective of whether this production has been sold, put on stocks or used for further processing by the same enterprise. Production of products on the basis of contract processing is also included. The enterprise physically carrying out the production, i.e. the (sub)contractor, reports the quantity of total production;
· volume of total production on the basis of contract processing - the actual production which has been carried out during the reference period by the (sub)contractor;
· volume of sold production - the own production sold during the reference period irrespective of when it has been manufactured. In cases of production on the basis of contract processing the principal who receives the finished goods and sells them reports the volume of sold production;
· value of sold production - the value of the own production sold during the reference period (thousand BGN, excluding VAT and excise duties). In cases of production on the basis of contract processing the principal who receives the finished goods and sells them reports the value of sold production;
· volume of production sold on the domestic market - the own production sold during the reference period irrespective of when it has been manufactured. In cases of production on the basis of contract processing the principal who receives the finished goods and sells them reports the volume of sold production;
· value of production sold on the domestic market - the value of the own production sold during the reference period (thousand BGN, excluding VAT and excise duties). In cases of production on the basis of contract processing the principal who receives the finished goods and sells them reports the value of sold production;
· total fee paid to the subcontractor - the fee received by the subcontractor for the work done (thousand BGN, excluding VAT and excise duties);
· fee paid to the subcontractor by the foreign principal - the fee received by the subcontractor for the work done (thousand BGN, excluding VAT and excise duties) from the foreign principal.
The enterprise is the observation unit surveyed by the NSI. The enterprise is the smallest organization unit carrying out one or more industrial activities at one or more locations.
The survey is based on a sample. The target population contains all non-financial enterprises which manufacture at least one product (commodity or service) included in the Nomenclature of Industrial Production (PRODCOM.BG).
The data refers to the industrial products, manufactured by non-financial enterprises on the territory of the country.
|Unit of measure|
· Physical measurement unit required by the Nomenclature of Industrial Production (PRODCOM.BG);
· Thousand BGN (for value indicators).
|Legal acts and other agreements|
· Statistics Act;
· National Statistical Program.
According to Council Regulation No 3924/91 the data are provided to Eurostat within six months after the end of the reference year in a required technical format. The same data are used for completion of international questionnaires (UN, FAO, IFA, ICSG, ITTO, WBMS, ICAC, TCQ, Wood Energy Enquiry, Eurostat MFA Questionnaire).
|Confidentiality - policy|
· Statistics Act;
· Regulation (EC) No 223/2009 on European statistics (recital 24 and Article 20(4)) of 11 March 2009 (OJ L 87, p. 164), stipulates the need to establish common principles and guidelines ensuring the confidentiality of data used for the production of European statistics and the access to those confidential data with due account for technical developments and the requirements of users in a democratic society.
|Confidentiality - data treatment|
The primary data of enterprises are confidential according to the Statistics Act and European legislation. The national rules define as confidential information, which aggregates the data on less than three enterprises or population, in which the relative share of studied parameter of one enterprise is over 85 per cent of the total value of this parameter for all population units.
The data are published in accordance with the deadline specified in the Release Calendar presenting the results of the statistical surveys carried out by the National Statistical Institute.
|Release calendar access|
The calendar is available on the NSI website: https://www.nsi.bg/en/node/480
Data aggregated by product subcategories of the Classification of Products by Economic Activities (CPA.BG 2015) are posted on the NSI's website. Detailed information for all indicators and PRODCOM.BG product headings is accessible and provided on request. All users are treated equitably.
|Frequency of dissemination|
Annually, updated as required to publish revised data.
|Accessibility and clarity|
Preliminary data attached to the press release on SBS data.
· Statistical Yearbook;
· Statistical Reference Book;
· Regions, districts and municipalities in the Republic of Bulgaria.
Datasets on PRODCOM.BG on the latest reference year are available on the NSI website under the heading "Business Statistics - Annual Business Statistics - Other Annual Data - Industrial products in kind - Total production and sold production in volume and value terms": https://www.nsi.bg/en/node/1227. Datasets from 2008 are available in the on-line database INFOSTAT:https://infostat.nsi.bg/infostat/pages/reports/query.jsf?x_2=743
Information service under signed agreements and on request.
|Documentation on methodology|
Methodological notes to the survey. https://www.nsi.bg/sites/default/files/files/metadata/IND_PRODPROM_Methodology_en.pdf
A number of arithmetical and logical controls are performed at the micro and macro level; data checks are made by comparing with historical data, export data and the results of other statistical surveys conducted by the NSI.
Eurostat validates the data and applies its own additional data checks at the level of the EU.
The main users are as follows:
· Eurostat and international organisations;
· State institutions under signed agreements;
· Research institutes, universities, economic analysts and students;
· Private non-governmental organisations, agencies, associations, media etc;
· Directorates and departments in the NSI.
There has been no study of user satisfaction.
In accordance with Council Regulation No 3924/91 the required data completeness is ensured for all variables.
|Accuracy and reliability|
The survey is based on a sample. The sampling design covers exhaustively all non-financial enterprises manufacturing industrial commodities and/or rendering industrial services with a specified threshold of receipts from sales of industrial production and industrial services. The sample model ensures 90% coverage of sold production in terms of value at the national level for each NACE.BG 2008 class.
Sampling errors do not occur in the survey. The sample design applied is a cut-off sample, which means that it is a full coverage survey with a cut-off threshold.
Non-sampling errors are minimised by data verification and revisions. Missing data are completed and the unit non-response is adjusted by estimates.
|Timeliness and punctuality|
The deadline for data publication at the national level is t+8 months for the preliminary data and t+11 months for the final data, where t is the reference year. To Eurostat data are required to be transmitted within six months after the end of the reference year.
The deadlines under item are strictly met.
|Coherence and comparability|
|Comparability - geographical|
The methodology for calculation of indicators is fully complied with the requirements of Council Regulation No 3924/91, which ensures comparability of data between EU Member States.
|Comparability - over time|
The data series are fully comparable for the period 2008 - 2018.
|Coherence - cross domain|
Logical control is applied and comparison is made with the results of the following statistical surveys conducted by the NSI: Annual Business Statistics. Foreign trade, Short Term Statistics
|Coherence - internal|
|Cost and burden|
The survey is conducted according to the EU recommendations on statistical burden reduction on respondents and in accordance with the Strategy for development of the National Statistical System 2013-2017. According to the article 5(3) of Council Regulation No 3924/91 for products within NACE Rev.2 class 10.51 "Operation of dairies and cheese making" is used data collected by the Ministry of Agriculture and Food, Agrostatistics Department.
For data collection an on-line based information system "Business Statistics" is used. The system saves time and efforts and makes participation in the survey more efficient. During the reporting campaign methodological and technical assistance to respondents is ensured.
The workload on respondents is studied by measuring time spent. A question on the time in minutes necessary for data preparation and completion of the questionnaire is included.
|Data revision - policy|
Revision of published data is allowed.
Calendar of planned revisions:
|Data revision - practice|
Revised data replaces the published data as soon as possible after the revision is made.
· The main source is the annual questionnaire on industrial products manufactured and sold;
· An administrative source - Ministry of Agriculture and Food, Agrostatistics Department (for products within NACE.BG 2008 class 10.51 "Operation of dairies and cheese making").
|Frequency of data collection|
The data are provided on-line, by completing a paper questionnaire or via e-mail.
Data validation involves additional logical checks applied to the input data, comparison with the previous year data and additional controls between forms in the Annual Report. Detected erroneous or suspicious values are clarified and if necessary the data are corrected.
Data editing is performed and estimation of unit non-response is made.
Indicators are calculated at the product level (8-digit code) specified in the Nomenclature of Industrial Production (PRODCOM.BG) and at the level of product subcategories of the Classification of Products by Economic Activities (CPA.BG 2015).
In order to be avoided data confidentiality at the product level (8-digit code), the data are posted on the NSI's website aggregated by product subcategories of the Classification of Products by Economic Activities (CPA.BG 2015).