GUIDELINES FOR THE DISSEMINATION OF STATISTICAL INFORMATION IN THE NATIONAL STATISTICAL SYSTEM OF BULGARIA
These Guidelines for the dissemination of statistical information in the National Statistical System of Bulgaria shall establish common rules for dissemination of statistical information within the National Statistical System (NSS).
1. NATIONAL STATISTICAL SYSTEM
The NSS of the Republic of Bulgaria carries out statistical activity of the state and through the NSI and the Bodies of statistics is an integral part of the European Statistical System (ESS).
In accordance with Article 3 (1) of the Law on statistics, the NSS shall include:
- National Statistical Institute (NSI);
- Bodies of statistics - national authorities or their structural units, which shall develop, produce and disseminate statistical information pursuant to Article 3 (2) of the Law on statistics;
- Bulgarian National Bank (BNB).
At national level, the NSS carries out the activities of collecting, processing, analyzing and storing statistical data as well as providing and disseminating official statistical information.
The development, compilation and dissemination of European statistics in Bulgaria shall be carried out in the respective areas of competence by the National Statistical Institute and the Bodies of Statistics as part of the ESS as regulated by Article 4 of Regulation 223/2009, and by the Bulgarian National Bank as part of ESCB as regulated by Article 5 of Protocol No. 4 on the Statute of the European System of Central Banks and of the ECB, by Regulation 2533/98 and by Article 42 of Law on the Bulgarian National Bank.
Statistical activity shall be carried out in compliance with the principles defined in Article 2 (2) of the Law on statistics: professional independence, impartiality, objectivity, reliability, statistical secret and cost efficiency.
The NSI shall play a leading methodological and coordinating role with regard to the Bodies of statistics in the performance of activities related to the collection, processing, analysis and storage of statistical data, as well as in the provision and dissemination of statistical information in the Republic of Bulgaria.
2. LEGAL FRAMEWORK
The dissemination of statistical information by the NSI and the Bodies of statistics shall apply the principles included in the following basic documents:
Documents of the European Commission / Eurostat:
- Memorandum on quality assurance of statistics underlying the Macroeconomic imbalances Procedure;
- Regulation (EU) 2015/759 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2015 amending Regulation (EC) No 223/2009 on European statistics;
- Commission Regulation (EU) No 557/2013 of 17 June 2013 implementing Regulation (EC) No 223/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council on European Statistics;
- Regulation (EC) No 223/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council on European statistics;
- European Statistics Code of Practice.
- Law on statistics;
- Strategy for Development of the National Statistical System of the Republic of Bulgaria, 2021 - 2027
3. PRINCIPLES OF DISSEMINATION OF STATISTICAL INFORMATION PRODUCED BY THE NSI AND THE BODIES OF STATISTICS
The dissemination of statistical information produced by the NSI and the Bodies of statistics shall be carried out in compliance with the following principles:
- accessibility for all users to the results of statistical surveys included in the National Statistical Programme (NSP);
- equality of all users informed of the results of statistical surveys included in the NSP;
- objectivity and impartiality in reporting the results of statistical surveys included in the NSP;
- strict compliance with deadlines for announcing the results of statistical surveys included in the NSP under the pre-announced at the beginning of the year Calendar presenting the results of the statistical surveys carried out by the NSI;
- protection of statistical secrecy subject to the provisions of confidentiality of individual data;
- intelligibility and clarity in disclosure of the results of statistical surveys included in the NSP;
- orientation to the needs of users, including publishing and delivering of the main part of the information in English.
The guidelines for dissemination shall define common standards, dissemination methods and types of statistical information products provided by the Bodies of statistics.
4. DISSEMINATION STANDARDS
The statistical information shall be disseminated according to Calendar for dissemination of the statistical information of the NSI and the Bodies of statistics (Release Calendar), which shall be approved annually by the Chairman of the National Statistical Council after the adoption of the NSI Release Calendar, the corresponding calendars of the Bodies of statistics and after discussion and approval by the National Statistical Council.
The results of statistical surveys shall be disseminated via Internet sites of the NSI and the Bodies of statistics at a predetermined time on the date specified in the Release Calendar.
If necessary, the Release Calendar shall be updated during the year by an order of the President of the NSI. Changes in the Release Calendar shall be published on the Internet sites of the NSI and the Bodies of statistics.
Employees of the NSI and the Bodies of statistics shall not be allowed to provide anyone in any way and cause information prior to its official dissemination.
Employees of the NSI and the Bodies of statistics shall provide information in compliance with the requirements for the confidentiality of individual data and in accordance with the Law on Statistics.
5. METHODS OF DISSEMINATION OF STATISTICAL INFORMATION BY THE NSI AND THE BODIES OF STATISTICS
In the dissemination of statistical information, all methods of reaching current and potential users shall be used, namely:
- Internet sites;
- statistical information systems;
- own printed and electronic publications;
- press releases;
- press conferences;
- media and social networks;
- reception desks (direct relations with users - on the spot, by email or by phone).
The methods to apply common standards to the NSI and the Bodies of statistics are the following:
5.1. DISSEMINATION VIA INTERNET
5.1.1. Creating and / or structuring an Internet section “Statistics” of the Bodies of statistics, which has an URL that can be quoted and has a unified content:
- information on the activity of the corresponding Body of statistics within the NSS and the ESS;
- documents and information materials for respondents - text and / or links;
- documents and information materials for users - text and / or links;
- statistical registers if the corresponding Body of statistics supports such;
- statistical data;
- publication of metadata in ESMS format (for users) and ESQRS format (for producers) according to an adopted timetable;
- survey methodologies;
- links to the NSI, Eurostat, European Statistical Data Support Help Desk and contact information;
- e-publications - text and / or links;
- press releases – text and / or links.
5.1.2. Publication of links on the NSI internet site to the corresponding site / “Statistics” section of the Bodies of statistics.
5.2. PRESS RELEASES
5.2.1. The NSI and the Bodies of statistics shall publish on their internet sites (in the "Statistics" section) a Release calendar with the results of the surveys included in the NSP foreseen for such disclosure.
5.2.2. The press releases shall be published in Bulgarian and English language at a predetermined time on the date specified in the Release Calendar.
5.3. STATISTICAL PRINTED AND ELECTRONIC PUBLICATIONS
5.3.1. The NSI together with the Bodies of statistics shall draw up a Catalogue of Statistical Publications of the NSI and the Bodies of statistics for the next calendar year, which shall determine the circulation and the terms for preparation.
5.3.2. All electronic publications shall be published on internet sites of the NSI and the Bodies of statistics where they can be downloaded free of charge.
5.4. RELATIONS WITH USERS
The NSI and the Bodies of statistics shall ensure the establishment of relations with users of statistical information through:
5.4.1. Information service on request – by telephone, electronic and/or postal mail;
5.4.2. E-services - after an analysis of their applicability in the relevant field.
6. STATISTICAL PRODUCTS AND SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE NSI AND THE BODIES OF STATISTICS
The Guidelines for the dissemination of statistical information by the NSI and the Bodies of statistics in the Republic of Bulgaria shall define the types of statistical information products and services as well as the procedures for their provision. A duty of each Body of statistics is to draw up a separate annex as an integral part of the document describing the scope of the dissemination activities of the Body concerned as well as the existence of restrictions in certain cases on their implementation in the institution concerned resulting from a legal act, administrative or in-house procedures.
 These guidelines do not include the activities of the Bulgarian National Bank (BNB) as a member of the European System of Central Banks (ESCB). The guidelines for dissemination of statistical information by the BNB are determined by decisions of the Governing Council of the BNB and comply with Article 5 of Protocol No. 4 on the Statute of the European System of Central Banks and of the ECB and Regulation 2533/98.