National Statistical Institute
|Contact organisation unit|
Statistics of Living Standart Department
|Contact person function|
|Contact mail address|
2, P. Volov str., 1038 Sofia
|Contact email address|
|Contact phone number|
+359 2 9857 607
|Contact fax number|
|Metadata last certified||24 August 2021|
|Metadata last posted||24 August 2021|
|Metadata last update||24 August 2021|
The European System of integrated Social PROtection Statistics (ESSPROS) is a specific tool for statistical monitoring of social transfers for social protection as well as their financing in the member states of the EU.
The social protection system consists of three parts - the core system, the module on pension beneficiaries and the module on net social protection benefits.
In the core system annual data for receipts and expenditure by scheme is provided as well as data on paid benefits by function "Sickness/Healthcare", "Disability", "Old age", "Survivors", "Family/Children", "Unemployment", "Housing" and "Social exclusion not elsewhere classified".
· Classification of ESSPROS functions;
· Classification of institutional sectors from which receipts of social protection schemes originate;
· Classification of expenditure of social protection system by type;
· Classification of social protection functions;
· Classification of social benefits in each function.
In Bulgaria ESSPROS includes the following social protection schemes:
|Statistical concepts and definitions|
Social protection encompasses all interventions from public and private bodies intended to relieve households and individuals of the burden of a defined set of risks or needs, provided that there is neither a simultaneous reciprocal nor an individual arrangement involved.
A social protection scheme is a distinct body of rules, supported by one or more institutional units, governing the provision of social protection benefits and their financing.
Social protection scheme
The European system of integrated social protection statistics gathers data on benefits provided, and their financing, as expenditures and receipts of the units that are responsible for providing social protection.
The territory of Bulgaria.
2005 - 2019
|Unit of measure|
|Legal acts and other agreements|
· Regulation (EC) No 458/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the European system of integrated social protection statistics (ESSPROS);
· Commission Regulation (EC) No 1322/2007 on appropriate formats for transmission, results to be transmitted and criteria for measuring quality for the ESSPROS core system and the module on pension beneficiaries of 12/11/2007;
· Commission Regulation (EC) No 10/2008 on definitions, detailed classifications and updating of the rules for dissemination for the ESSPROS core system and the module on pension beneficiaries of 08/01/2008;
· Commission Regulation (EC) No 110/2011 as regards the appropriate formats for the transmission of data, the results to be transmitted and the criteria for measuring quality for the ESSPROS module on net social protection benefits;
· Commission Regulation (EC) No 263/2011 as regards the launch of full data collection for the ESSPROS module on net social protection benefits;
· Law on Statistics.
|Confidentiality - policy|
· Regulation (EC) No 223/2009 on European statistics (recital 24 and Article 20(4)) of 11 March 2009 (OJ L 87, p. 164), stipulates the need to establish common principles and guidelines ensuring the confidentiality of data used for the production of European statistics and the access to those confidential data with due account for technical developments and the requirements of users in a democratic society.
|Confidentiality - data treatment|
Date of publication of statistical information is available in the Release Calendar presenting the results of the statistical surveys carried out by the National Statistical Institute
|Release calendar access|
The calendar is available on the NSI website: https://www.nsi.bg/en/node/480
Data on ESSPROS is published on the NSI website, section Social Protection in accordance with the Law on Statistics and the European Statistics Code of Practice respecting the professional independence and aimed at objectivity, transparency and equal treatment of all consumers.
|Frequency of dissemination|
|Accessibility and clarity|
Receipts and expenditure for social protection.
Detailed results on ESSPROS are available to all users of the NSI website under the heading Social Protection: https://www.nsi.bg/en/node/6914 and informational system “Infostat”
Information service on request, according to the Rules for the dissemination of statistical products and services in NSI.
|Documentation on methodology|
· ESSPROS manual 1996 (published by Eurostat) for the period 1999-2005;
· ESSPROS manual, published in 2008 (Eurostat) for the period after 2005;
· ESSPROS manual, published in 2016 (Eurostat).
Quality information by scheme and type of benefits.
The European system for integrated social protection statistics is an annual survey which is conducted in the framework of Regulation No 458/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the European system for social protection statistics, Commission Regulation (EC) No 1322/2007 on appropriate formats for transmission, results to be transmitted and criteria for measuring quality and Commission Regulation (EC) No 10/2008 on definitions, detailed classifications and updating of the rules for dissemination.
Data is accompanied by quality information for each social protection scheme as well as detailed description of the various types of benefits provided.
Quality report is prepared.
The main users of ESSPROS data are:
No survey is conducted for user satisfaction.
ESSPROS encompasses interventions from public and private bodies intended to relieve households and individuals of the burden of a defined set of risks or needs, provided that there is neither a simultaneous reciprocal nor an individual arrangement involved.
|Accuracy and reliability|
As ESSPROS data are based on many administrative sources, the standard indicators for measuring accuracy are not directly applicable. Therefore, the accuracy is estimated by considering the non-sampling errors in the data sources.
ESSPROS is not a sample survey.
Limitations in the scope of and problems of measurement, evaluation of the method of estimation and revisions.
|Timeliness and punctuality|
According to the schedule for ESSPROS data provision, defined by Regulation 458/2007, data is provided with a margin of 18 months.
The target date for provision of data on the ESSPROS core system is determined by the European Parliament and Regulation (EO) No 458/2007 of the Council (appendix 1, items 1.3 and 2.3), according to which quantitative data at all schemes level and qualitative information for year N must be disseminated by Eurostat no later than 31 October of year N+2.
|Coherence and comparability|
|Comparability - geographical|
Social protection schemes differ greatly between different countries. There are great differences in the number and share of these schemes. In some countries the number of social protection schemes is very high while in others, usually these with small number of beneficiaries, the schemes are only partially covered by the data sources.
|Comparability - over time|
There are minor changes as regards the schemes, data sources, timeliness and scope of data in different countries which means that data from different years are comparable.
|Coherence - cross domain|
|Coherence - internal|
As far as possible, there needs to be coherence between quantitative data and qualitative information. Where benefits are classified under a certain scheme, the description of these benefits should be found in the qualitative information and vice versa, unless the scheme described in the qualitative information has not yet entered into force (i.e. no benefits are supplied in the reference year) or has expired (i.e. the scheme is split into two different schemes, merged with another scheme or definitively abolished).
Coherence should be ensured as far as possible between the core system and the module on pension beneficiaries. If there are benefits classified under a particular pension item for a scheme, the number of beneficiaries should be found in the corresponding item in the pension beneficiaries module, and vice versa.
|Cost and burden|
Data is collected from administrative sources.
|Data revision - policy|
|Data revision - practice|
Data revision is possible due to different reasons ? for example change in the data sources used, change in the methods used for data estimation, due to adjustments in definitions used, etc.
Data are collected from the following administrative registers and information systems:
· Register "Pensions";
· NSSI Personal register;
· Detailed Annual Report of NSSI on pension expenditure, short-term expenditure and contribution income;
· Detailed Annual Report of NHIF on incomes and expenditure;
· Aggregated Report on Incomes of health insurance companies;
· Report on Benefits and Contibutions of health insurance companies by type of services;
· Detailed Annual Report on incomes and expenditure of Ministry of Health;
· Data base of annual execution of the Consolidated Fiscal Program;
· Information system of Social Assistance Agency;
· Detailed Annual Report on the implementation of the budget of Agency for People with Disabilities;
· Information system of Employment Agency;
· Information system of Ministry of Education and Science.
Additionally data from following statistical surveys are used:
· Annual Report of Enterprises on the employed, salaries paid and other expenditures for labour;
|Frequency of data collection|
· Data files from administrative registers and information systems;
· Electronic form for some social protection schemes;
· Data from statistical surveys.
Some of the schemes should be balanced, i.e. total expenditure should be equal to total receipts.
Download in SDMX 2.1 file format: EUROPEAN SYSTEM OF INTEGRATED SOCIAL PROTECTION STATISTICS (ESSPROS) - Receipts and expenditure for social protection
Metadata Structure Definition in SDMX 2.1: ESMS_MSD+BNSI+2.0+SDMX.2.1.xml
Download in SDMX 2.0 file format: EUROPEAN SYSTEM OF INTEGRATED SOCIAL PROTECTION STATISTICS (ESSPROS) - Receipts and expenditure for social protection
Metadata Structure Definition in SDMX 2.0: ESMS_MSD+BNSI+2.0+SDMX.2.0.xml