National Statistical Institute
|Contact organisation unit|
Agricultural and Forestry Accounts and Prices Department
|Contact person function|
Head of Department Expert
|Contact mail address|
2, P. Volov Str.; 1038 Sofia
|Contact email address|
|Contact phone number|
+359 2 9857646
+359 2 9857470
|Contact fax number|
|Metadata last certified||02 August 2021|
|Metadata last posted||02 August 2021|
|Metadata last update||02 August 2021|
• The survey on "Producer prices on the internal market for forestry products" is carried out in two phases. During the first phase, information on the quantitative and qualitative characteristics and prices of the wood in the rough sold is collected. On the basis of this information, after a selection of the most frequently -sold products, a representative nomenclature of the survey is built-up. Updating of the product nomenclature can be done over a period of time if it is found that a significant part of the products defined during the first phase of the survey are no longer sold on the market. In the second phase of the survey, information on the following variables is regularly (quarterly) collected:
• Producer prices of wood in the rough by months in the observed period.
• Quantity of sales of wood in the rough. The information gathered during the second phase of the survey is used to calculate quarterly and annual data on average sale prices and producer price indices in forestry at two bases - the corresponding quarter of the previous year and the previous year and to develop a weighting scheme for weighting the indices.
The main purpose of producer price indices in the forestry is:
• To observe the changes in the producer prices trend in forestry;
• To calculate deflators of forest output figures.
For data compilation next classifications are used:
• Classification of Economic Activities in Bulgaria (NACE 2008)
• Nomenclature of agricultural, forestry and fisheries production (PRODAGRO)
• The nomenclature of the representative products observed in the survey, defined by their quantitative characteristics for the following groups: - wood in the rough from coniferous species; - wood in the rough from non-coniferous species
The survey covers the sales of wood in the rough on the domestic market by logging enterprises, which are "franco forest depot of the producer" (temporary forest depot).
|Statistical concepts and definitions|
• Producer price in Forestry
This is the price of the timber actually sold. It does not include VAT and other taxes paid, as well as delivery, transportation, storage and other costs incurred in the sale. Producer price is calculated quarterly as the arithmetic mean of the average monthly sales prices of the defined representative product.
• Producer Price Indices in Forestry
The indices are calculated by the Laspeyre’s formula. It can be calculated for a period of several years without being necessary to change the list of selected representative products or the weights. Furthermore the parameters used for the calculation of the indices are well known at the time the base is established. Changes only need to be made when the evolution in the products used and in their relative importance does not meet the basic structure.
• A weighting scheme for calculating the Producer Price Indices in Forestry
For the calculation of Producer Price Indices in Forestry a weighting scheme should be available. For weights, the values of sales of the observed forestry products are used in the respective period (base) - quarter or year. Weights are calculated in the framework of the Survey on producer prices in the forestry.
Reporting unit - Information is provided by logging companies that produce and sell wood in the rough on the domestic market. Statistical unit - the unit price of sales of wood in the rough on the temporary forest depot.
Enterprises that have submitted data on the Annual Report of forestry enterprises, whether logging is primary or secondary activity to them. The enterprises are selected according to the value of sales in the previous year. The survey includes all enterprises above a certain threshold value.
The survey covers the entire territory of the country.
Corresponding quarter of previous year = 100
Previous year = 100
|Unit of measure|
The price is measured in BGN for a solid cubic meter. Quantities of sales are measured in solid cubic meters.
|Legal acts and other agreements|
• Law on Statistics;
• National Statistical Programme;
• Handbook for EU Agricultural Price Statistics
Agreement between the National Statistical Institute and the Executive Agency for Forests for data exchange and strategic partnership.
|Confidentiality - policy|
• Law on Statistics - https://www.nsi.bg/bg/node/553/;
• Regulation EC/223/2009 on European Statistics (consideration 24 and article 20 (4) of 11 March 2009 (Ob L 87, p. 164) foresee that for that purpose it is necessary to establish common principles and guidelines, ensuring data confidentiality of data used for production of European Statistics and access to those confidential data with account for technical developments and requirements of users in democratic society. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:087:0164:0173:EN:PDF
|Confidentiality - data treatment|
Individual data shall not be published, observing art. 25 of the Law on Statistics. The dissemination of individual data is made only under Art. 26 of the Law on Statistics.
The schedule for dissemination of statistical information is published in the NSI Release Calendar.
|Release calendar access|
The Release Calendar is available on the NSI website: https://www.nsi.bg/en/node/480
The data are published on the NSI website under the heading Statistics - Agriculture and Forestry - Forestry in accordance with the Statistics Act (Chapter 5) and the European Statistics Code of Practice, respecting professional independence and for objectivity and transparency, where all users are on an equal footing.
|Frequency of dissemination|
|Accessibility and clarity|
Data from the survey is published every quarter on the NSI website at: https://www.nsi.bg/en/content/16215/forestry
|Documentation on methodology|
A Handbook of agricultural price statistics in the EU.
Methods and procedures for calculation are periodically described and documented. A comparative analysis is carried out with data from previous periods and other sources of information.
As a result of the comparative analysis performed, the quality of the data can be defined as good.
NSI Upon request, data from the survey is provided to state institutions, businesses and citizens.
No observations have been made on the satisfaction of users.
In the scope of the survey, information is collected on the sale prices of all major categories of wood in the rough according to the used National nomenclature of production in Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (PRODAGRO). This ensures the representativeness of data on producer price indices in the forestry.
|Accuracy and reliability|
The accuracy of the data is achieved by providing a representative nomenclature of observed products, maintaining the required number of price registrations, achieving the defined scope of domestic sales of wood in the rough and developing reliable statistical tools, including IT environment for collection and control of data.
|Timeliness and punctuality|
Data was first published in May 2018.
Data from the survey is published in full compliance with deadlines in the NSI Release Calendar . No delays have been identified in the datadissemination.
|Coherence and comparability|
|Comparability - geographical|
Data are geographically comparable for the entire period for which they are available.
|Comparability - over time|
The data are comparable over time for the entire period for which they are available.
|Coherence - cross domain|
|Coherence - internal|
The internal coherence is achieved by using the same definitions, classifications and methods of observation.
|Cost and burden|
The budget (financial resources) needed for the implementation of survey is published in the National Statistical Program on the NSI website. In order to reduce the burden on respondents, an electronic questionnaire containing logical controls is used. As the main measure of the workload of respondents, the time needed to complete the statistical forms is used. Each questionnaire includes a section that respondents need to complete. The time required to complete the form also includes time for data preparation. On the basis of this information, the response burden can be considered relatively high.
|Data revision - policy|
There is no policy on data revisions established.
|Data revision - practice|
According to the established policy, data revisions are made when the methodology, the classifications and definitions used are changed.
Statistical form for producer prices on the internal market for forestry products.
|Frequency of data collection|
Data collection is in accordance with the NSI statistical data collection, processing and dissemination calendar. Data is collected in two ways:
• On-line - by using a web-based application;
• By paper form, which is sent to respondents by post.
The validation of data is done by using developed software for this purpose. Software development is in accordance with the Technical specification, developed by the experts responsible for the implementation of the statistical survey.
The data processing is carried out in accordance with the NSI statistical data collection, processing and dissemination calendar. Data processing is done using software specifically developed for this purpose. The development of the software is in accordance with a Technical specification developed by the experts responsible for the implementation of the statistical survey.
Download in SDMX 2.1 file format: Producer prices of forestry products on the internal market
Metadata Structure Definition in SDMX 2.1: ESMS_MSD+BNSI+2.0+SDMX.2.1.xml
Download in SDMX 2.0 file format: Producer prices of forestry products on the internal market
Metadata Structure Definition in SDMX 2.0: ESMS_MSD+BNSI+2.0+SDMX.2.0.xml