National Statistical Institute
|Contact organisation unit|
„Statistics on Services“ Department
|Contact person function|
Acting Head of Department
|Contact mail address|
2, P.Volov Str. Sofia 1038, Bulgaria
|Contact email address|
|Contact phone number|
+359 2 9857 604
+359 2 9857 190
|Contact fax number|
|Metadata last certified||04 August 2014|
|Metadata last posted||04 August 2014|
|Metadata last update||04 August 2014|
Data on air transport include transport of passengers, goods and mail by commercial air services of the airline for hire or reward. Flights by state aircrafts are excluded.
ICAO code list /International Civil Aviation Organization/
The information includes data on Bulgarian and foreign air operators, performing flights from and to airports on Bulgarian territory.
|Statistical concepts and definitions|
Passengers on board - all passengers on board of the aircraft upon landing at the reporting airport or at taking off from the reporting airport. Includes direct transit passengers.
Freight and mail on board - all freight and mail on board of the aircraft upon landing at the reporting airport or at taking off from the reporting airport. Includes direct transit freight and mail. Excludes passenger baggage.
Data are collected from Directorate general “Civil Aviation administration“ at the Ministry of transport, information technology and communications at airport level.
According to Regulation 437/2003 all airports, which are category 1, 2 and 3, report data.
For the Republic of Bulgaria.
|Unit of measure|
Thousand tonnes; thousand passengers
|Legal acts and other agreements|
· Regulation (EC) No 437/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 February 2003 on statistical returns in respect of the carriage of passengers, freight and mail by air;
· Commission regulation (EC) No 1358/2003 of 31 July 2003 implementing Regulation No 437/2003 of the EP and of the Council on statistical returns in respect of the carriage of passengers, freight and mail by air and amending Annexes I and II;
· Commission regulation (EC) No 546/2005 of 8 April 2005 adapting Regulation (EC) 437/2003 of the EP and of the Council as regards the allocation of reporting country codes and amending Commission Regulation (EC) No 1358/2003 as regards the updating of the list of Community airports;
· Commission Regulation (EC) No 158/2007 of 16 February 2007 amending Commission regulation (EC) No 1358/2003 as regards the list of Community airports;
· Order No RD-08-20 of 14 January 1999 on statistical returns in respect of civil aviation in Republic of Bulgaria.
|Confidentiality - policy|
· Law on Statistics;
· Regulation (EC) No 223/2009 on European statistics (recital 24 and Article 20(4)) of 11 March 2009 (OJ L 87, p. 164), stipulates the need to establish common principles and guidelines ensuring the confidentiality of data used for the production of European statistics and the access to those confidential data with due account for technical developments and the requirements of users in a democratic society.
|Confidentiality - data treatment|
Airline information data is subject to confidentiality. Data are provided only at high aggregated level.
Data are published according to the deadlines set in the National statistical program and the Release calendar - six months after the reference period.
|Release calendar access|
The calendar is available on the NSI website: https://www.nsi.bg/en/node/480
Data are published on the internet site of NSI and can be accessed from all users of statistical information.
|Frequency of dissemination|
|Accessibility and clarity|
Data on air transport from all reporting countries are published on the internet site of Eurostat.
|Documentation on methodology|
Reference Manual on Air Transport Statistics
Reference Manual on Air Transport Statistics
Data quality is ensured by the implementation of a common methodology for the data collection. The necessary quality checks are applied for each data series. Data are subsequently validated in Eurostat by applying different controls of the incoming data.
Annually Eurostat prepares a data quality report with the summary of the main findings affecting the quality of the data.
Main users are state institutions, different organizations and specialized in the sector enterprises.
Full completeness with the Bulgarian and European legislation.
|Accuracy and reliability|
Data are accurate.
|Timeliness and punctuality|
Quarterly data are transmitted to Eurostat 6 month after the reference period.
All the data are transmitted according to the set deadline in the Regulations.
|Coherence and comparability|
|Comparability - geographical|
|Comparability - over time|
Comparability over time is accomplished due to present methodological approach, which has been implemented over the past years.
|Coherence - cross domain|
At national level, inter-dataset checks for each data series are made. Than Eurostat performs mirror statistics of the data of all reporting countries.
|Coherence - internal|
|Cost and burden|
Cost and Burden are defined from Directorate general “Civil Aviation administration“ at the Ministry of transport, information technology and communications.
|Data revision - policy|
Data revision is made when it is necessary.
|Data revision - practice|
Data revision is made by necessity according to the methodology.
Data source is Directorate general “Civil Aviation administration“ at the Ministry of transport, information technology and communications.
|Frequency of data collection|
The survey is exhaustive.
Validation checks of the used code list and quality checks for each data series and between the series are made.
Treatment of the primary data is made by Directorate general “Civil Aviation administration“ at the Ministry of transport, information technology and communications.
Download in SDMX file format: Air transport - Passengers and goods attended on airports
Metadata Structure Definition: ESMS_MSD+BNSI+2.0+SDMX.2.0.xml